Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Media reaction from Happ's start yesterday

Michael Radano from CourierPostOnline.com got these quotes from J.A. Happ:

"I'm happy to get the opportunity, but unfortunately it didn't work out," said Happ, who allowed six runs, all earned in two-plus innings in the Phillies' 6-6 tie. "I'm a realistic guy, maybe almost to a fault where maybe I look negatively on things. At the same time, my goal is to make an impression. If there's any shot, whether it's in the bullpen or wherever, I want to stay with the club. I'm hoping to stay here for as long as I can. Hopefully, I'll put my name on the radar."

Read his whole story here.

The AP has this story on the wire:

After two impressive outings in spring training, manager Charlie Manuel and pitching coach Rich Dubee wanted to get a better look at Happ, a tall, lanky left-hander who doesn't throw appreciably hard - his fastball hovers a tick above or below 90 mph - yet he strikes out batters like a power pitcher (162 strikeouts in 160 2-3 innings last season).

"We're going to watch him and see what we think of him," Manuel said. "We have interest in him. The brass says that he misses bats, so that's a good sign."

Happ's start against the Astros didn't go so well. After a relatively smooth opening two innings, he didn't get an out in the third, as four hits and a walk led to five runs.


You can read the whole story via the Biloxi Sun-Herald here.

Marcus Hayes from PhillyNews.com also had a story that can be found here via the Wilkes Barre Times-Leader.

Todd Zolecki from the Philadelphia Inquirer had this story.

No comments: